Frustrating, but this is a very common issue! The printer not printing issue will surely come while using the printer. A printer is merely a simple machine and it can fail to perform appointed tasks anytime. However, here our role is to eliminate such errors and make our printer back to normal. This error can occur due to any reason, it could be a paper jam, low ink, or maybe due to some other causes.
Let’s first try to list down possible reasons why your printer stops printing.
Possible Causes of Printer Not Printing Error
- Weak or broken connection
- The printer is not set as the default
- Paper Jam
- The printer is set to offline mode
- Outdated or removed printer drivers
- Stopped Printer Spooler
Or, if you are unable to understand the main cause behind your printer’s error, then you can check on your printer’s screen. Whenever it faces an issue, the screen will constantly give your message or indications.
Many modern printers indicate errors through blinking lights, using your printer’s guide manual you have to decode it. Once you understood its indications and know the cause then you can directly jump to the solution. If you are still stuck among causes then keep reading this entire printing error guide.
Solutions for Printer Not Printing
The error could be any (if you fail to detect the cause) so perform each solution step-by-step to figure it out. But, first and foremost check if your printer is switched on or not. Because sometimes users forgot switching it on and continuously try printing, so if this is the case then switch it on and the error is gone.
Let’s move to some other technical solutions to resolve printing errors:
Solution 1: Set as Default Printer
If you have not set your printer as the default printer and continuously giving printing commands your respective printer won’t entertain any command. Hence, to make it work properly you need to set it as your default printer. Follow the below instructions,
- Open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R simultaneously.
- Now type Control and click OK.
- Select Devices and Printers.
- Choose the printer and right-click.
- Now in the drop-down menu choose the option “Set as default printer”.
Next, try printing and if the print comes out then it means your printer, not printing issue has been resolved.
Solution 2: Paper Jam
To remove the jammed paper, follow the below step-by-step guide.
- To remove the jammed paper, first of all, switch off your printer and remove the main plug.
- Now open the printer head and remove the printing rollers in the direction mentioned on it.
- Next, slowly pull out the paper from it.
- Place the roller back in the right direction and close the printer head.
- If needed, put some more printing papers.
This will resolve your paper jam issue and now you can restart your printing work.
Solution 3: Clear Printing Queue
Clear the printing queue with the below steps,
- Press the Window key and R key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Type services.msc in the box and press Enter.
- Look for Printer Spooler, then right-click and select Stop.
- Now open File Explorer and in the address bar, type “%windir%System32spoolPRINTERS” and press Enter.
- Delete all the files in the folder.
- Press the Window key + R key and open and Run box.
- Type services.msc in the box and hit Enter.
- Select Printer Spooler, press right click on it, and choose Start.
This will help you in making your printer act normally and start printing.
Solution 4: The Printer is Offline
When your printer is in offline status, it creates problems and doesn’t let you print normally. Hence perform the below steps to make your printer online.
- Press the Windows key and R key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Now type Control Panel and press OK.
- Select Drives and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window, you will see your printer.
- If your printer is offline it will show under the printer icon on the screen.
- Now, right-click and select Use printer online.
Your printer is no more in offline mode, now it has come back online. Now you can print your desired documents.
Solution 5: If Printer not Printing Update the Printer Driver
Outdated or irresponsive printer drivers can make you face printer, not printing issues. Because you are still pushing your printer to run on outdated drivers, whereas your printer needs an updated version or the version which it supports. Hence, follow the below steps to automatically update the driver.
- Go to the Windows search box and type Device Manager.
- Open the Device Manager and expand the selection where it says ‘Printers’.
- Now in this section search your printer’s model number and right-click.
- Select the Update Driver option.
- Next press on the ‘search automatically’ option and wait until your printer completes the updating process.
- Once the process is done, restart your computer.
After updating the drivers you can try printing your document and check if the error is gone or not.
Solution 6: Start Printer Spooler Service
Stopped printer spooler service creates printing errors, it won’t let you use the printer. Clear out this issue by using the below steps.
- First of all, open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R key on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Now type “Service.msc” and click OK.
- From the listed items below search Printer Spooler.
- Right-click on it and choose Stop.
- Click on the address bar from the ‘Windows File Explorer and then type, C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printer and click OK.
- Clear the printing queue by deleting all the files.
- Now again go to Printer Spooler and right-click. Select Start.
- Restart your computer.
Above are the easy steps to recover your printer from the printer, not a printing error. If you are still stuck in the same problem, you can take experts’ help. Printer support technicians are trained and tech-friendly workers who can resolve the issue within seconds.